|Star Wars TIE Fighter - Extended Body
We had a little 12 hour build at the end of 2010 and I decided that this version of a TIE fighter would be a good choice. I saw
drawings of a TIE fighter with an extended body and thought it would be easy to scratchbuild from styrene and add to the back of a
Fine Molds TIE Fighter. The only tricky part was to replace the round rear hatch with one that was turned on my lathe. Also
featured in the Starship Modeller Reader Gallery.
Base Kit(s): 1/72 scale Fine Molds TIE Fighter
Finished: December 2010
- extended body made of styrene sheet, strip and rod, with some of the piping made from craft wire
- for the main pod, Tamiya XF-66 Light Gray was thinned and shot through an airbrush.
- some XF-53 was brush painted for smaller details
- the solar panels are Tamiya X-18 semi-gloss black straight from the can
- black wash was added to bring out the details
- kit decals used, except for larger triangle, cut out from a sheet of light blue decal paper
Heritagecon 5, Hamilton, ON March 2011, 3rd place fantasy and Sci-fi
Ajax XXXI, Ajax, ON October 2011, 3rd place Sci-Fi space vehicles
Click on Thumbnail to see detailed image. These images are 1024 x 768 and should load reasonably quickly,
depending on your connection speed.