|James Bond 'Little Nellie' AutoGyro
I bought this model in 2006 and thought I might be used during one of our club's 12 hour build challenges. However, the 2007
CapCon contest had a theme award of 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service" and I thought this would be a great subject.
The model is the Wallis Autogyro that appeared in James Bond movie “You Only Live Twice” (1967). James (played by Sean
Connery) use 'Little Nellie' to destroy three bad guy helicopters using flame throwers, machine guns and rockets.
I'm glad I didn't try and build it in 12 hours as there was a lot of mold line sanding required and some fit problems. One of the
biggest hurdles was that the front cockpit cover was molded in two pieces. By attaching the front wheel afterwards, I was able to
glue and finish the whole section and then added it to the frame afterwards. The decals worked well, although the white stripes
were a bit thin. Next time I would paint white underneath the white part of the decals.
Base Kit(s): Airfix 1:24 James Bond AutoGyro (kit number 04401)
Finished: September 2007
- Modified front rocket launcher to remove toy rocket and release lever and added rocket details in front
- RB Motion rod ends added to upper rotor control mechanism
- Throttle cable and fuel line added
- Spark plug wiring added
- Front pitot tubes added
- Windscreen replaced with clear plastic sheet and attached with Scale Hardware stainless steel rivets
- Hex bolt head details added
- Paint is Yellow Krylon for Plastic for the front body and rear rudder, White Krylon for Plastic for the lower rockets and tail section,
both straight from the can
- Various shades Alclad for the frame and accessories using an airbrush
CapCON 2007, Ottawa, ON Sep 2007, 2nd place large scale helicopters, 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service' theme award
Ajax XXVII, Ajax, ON Oct 2007, 1st place Rotary Aircraft 1/51 scale and larger
BUFFCON 25, Buffalo, NY Apr 2008, 1st place Rotary Wing Aircraft
TORCAN 2008, Toronto, ON, May 2008, 2nd place Rotary Wing Wircraft
London Model Show, London, ON, Oct 2008, 1st place Helicopters and Rotary-wing Aircraft
IPMS Livonia Can-Am Challenge, Livonia, MI October 1, 2016 - 3rd place Aircraft Miscellaneous
Click on Thumbnail to see detailed image. These images are 800 x 600 and should load reasonably quickly,
depending on your connection speed.