|'RatKat' Suzuki Katana rat bike
The 2012 Kingston Modelrama show had a Cat (Cougars, Jaguars, etc.) and Rat Rod theme. While looking on the Internet for
ideas, I came across a Katana rat bike. These bikes are nicknamed 'Kats', so I thought it would fit the theme quite well. I had bits
and pieces from various Katana projects and with some resin casting of missing pieces and a bit of repair to the engine, I came us
with this result in a little over three weeks. There's not a lot of extra detailing, (bolt heads, cable connectors, etc.) and it is
probably too neat for a true rat bike, but I didn't manage to clean up a box of Katana spare parts.
Base Kit(s): Tamiya Suzuki GSX1100S Katana Custom Tuned (kit number 14065)
Finished: Dec 2011
- exhaust system from street version of Katana, with shortened mufflers
- shortened seat and modified rear bodywork
- removed passenger foot pegs and added new support brace
- front fork tubes covered with rubber 'gaiters' (bendable straws, painted Nato black)
- spliced two chains together to get one without a chain guard
- modified rear brake caliper from Honda VF750F
- paint on frame, bodywork and wheels and is Tamiya acrylic flat black, followed by Testors acryl flat
- paint on engine and seat Tamiya semi-gloss black acrylic
- Alclad steel on exhaust, polished aluminum on brake disks.
Click on Thumbnail to see detailed image. These images are 1024 x 768 and should load reasonably quickly,
depending on your connection speed.