|1974 'Team Canada' Brabham BT42
In 1974, Eppie Weitzes drove a Brabham BT42 in 'Team Canada' livery at the Formula One race in Mosport. Eppie was born in
Holland and emigrated to Canada, eventually taking out Canadian citizenship. He raced various vehicles in Canada and the US in
the 1960's and 1970's. Arguably, the most recognized car he drove was this Brabham. The car was sponsored somewhat by
Labbatt's brewing company and the only acknowledgement of that was the number '50' on the car, related to 'Labatt's 50' ale.
The had mechanical troubles and did not finish the race. I had built the Brabham BT44B when it was first released in the 1970's.
However, the model definitely needed a face-lift, and what better way then to recreate an iconic Canadian race car.
Appeared in Random Thoughts 37-1, the IPMS Canada publication.
Base Kit(s): Tamiya Brabham BT44B
Finished: September 2014
- filled in ventilation holes and NACA duct in front bodywork
- front suspension arms modified from kit parts to mount coil shocks outside body
- added aftermarket seat belt set
- modified rear scoop to be taller and more square profile
- rear wing filled in and new side plates added
- scratchbuilt rear wing mount
- brake lines added front and rear
- mounted transmission oil cooler above transmission
- paint on body is Tamiya Pure White and Bright Red
- Alclad polished aluminum on suspension pieces
- custom, laser printed decals
- rear wing ‘Team Canada’ from Letraset rub on lettering
Toronto Model Car Show and Contest, Toronto, ON September 2014, 1st place Large Scale
London Scale Model Show, London, ON September 2014, 3rd place Open Wheel Competition
Ajax 34, Ajax, ON Oct 2014, 1st place Large Scale
Heritagecon 9, Hamilton, ON March 2015, 2nd place Competition - Open Wheel
IPMS Livonia Can-Am Challenge, Livonia, MI October 1, 2016 - 3rd place Large Scale, Best Canadian Marked Subject
Click on Thumbnail to see detailed image. These images are 1024 x 768 and maybe a bit slow to load, depending on
your connection speed.
Some construction photos